Saturday, January 23, 2010

Flags and Landscape







These two subjects go in conjunction with one another as one grew from the other. The initial intention was to paint rows of flags and I commenced with studies of these on a somewhat mountainous background. I was struggling with the brush mark and eventually abandoned the flags to revisit at a later date.






































I then concentrated on the landscape and made a couple of small studies that I will develop and enlarge.














The first of these studies is the background for the flag painting; the other two are smaller studies. The first has been concluded with a blue hue in the sky and some foreground work, the second has an experimental snow working that will be developed in a much larger painting.







































I have chosen a canvas 1500mm x 1200mm to execute the first of the larger landscape paintings and have cut a piece of 160gm paper to this size to make an initial study. These are in preparation for a very large landscape on a canvas that I wish to use that has been abandoned by a former student at the university, if I am quick enough to score it.


No comments:

Post a Comment